Any flooding disaster is an extremely stressful event. But the most important thing to do is not panic and quietly evaluate what steps you need to take to minimise the damage as much as you are able to do so with the equipment and materials you have on hand. We advise taking the following steps:
- Firstly, ensure the safety of your family and pets by moving them to a secure and hygienic location.
- Turn of your water supply if you are able to
- Move any electrical appliances or devices that are at risk of being exposed to water – make sure you turn off the power first.
- Items such as clothing, books and plants should be removed as these can transfer colour and stain to your carpet.
- If you have time, move any sentimental or personal articles that may be subject to damage to a safe place
- Floor length curtains should be tied up so that they do not come into contact with wet areas
- Aluminium foil can be put under parts of furniture that are in contact with the carpet to prevent stains and help avoid damage
- Any food that has been exposed to flood water is at very high risk of being contaminated, so ensure that it is safely disposed of as soon as possible.
- Stay calm! Call Water Damage Service to help you deal with the aftermath of a flood disaster.